Project Cars at E3 2014

Shaun Cole On June 23, 2014

E3 or the Electronics Entertainment Expo 2014 brought the usual cast of characters to this years show.  One change of pace or difference from the norm came out of Slightly Mad Studios in the form of Project Cars.  Among the waves of driving games, there was Project Cars standing alone as the only sim title at the show.  We take our first look at Project Cars and the demonstration of the sim that they featured at E3 this year.

Comments

Michael Baley On 2014-07-28 11:25:27
Michael Baley

I am totally confused by Project CARS and what I know about it to this point.
1) How does one become an owner of this simulation?
2) When is this to become "public"?
3) Is this a console, or a PC simulation?

I find the information available about Project CARS is woefully lacking and in being so, puts me off as far as wanting to own it (whenever that is going to be possible).

Can anyone explain it better by answering the above three questions for me?

Dave Mennaman On 2014-07-28 16:42:44
Dave Mennaman

Sorry Michael - accidental hit of post !

2) Release due in November 2014 is the latest promise.

3) On PC / PS4 / XBone / SteamOS / and in 2015 Wii

There has been LOTS of opinion on the title. I have it. It looks superb. Needs lots of PC resources (on triples at least) / physics are not complete yet - some cars much better than others. But I guess if you like sim racing, you gotta try 'em all, right .
Good luck,
                     Dave

Dave Mennaman On 2014-07-28 16:31:18
Dave Mennaman

Michael,
Hopefully I can answer your questions.
1) Project Cars is one of several titles of late that have funded themselves through public funding. While in development the public was able to "join" the project by purchasing one of several levels of "ownership". The more you donated the more access / promise of future benefits you would be entitled to once the game was released. Along the way, the member has been able to play the title in its various stages of development. I believe    that the ability to join at this point in time has been closed - if you are not a member now. You gotta wait for the official release

Michael Baley On 2014-07-28 17:49:44
Michael Baley

Appreciate the reply, Dave.  I knew of all this of course at its inception, but opted (don't know why) to not get involved at the get-go.  Guess I'll be waiting with baited breath come November to enjoy the fruits of their labor.

Thanks, again.

Tim Chitwood On 2014-07-05 18:28:41
Tim Chitwood

They have until November, that seems to be when all the new games are coming out, but my blood pressure would sure appreciate knowing for sure, absolutely that they will be Logitech G series compatible.

Tim Chitwood On 2014-06-26 14:27:43
Tim Chitwood

If they do not have G27 support on the PS4 by November they will lose a lot of players, me included.

Ken Philson On 2015-01-07 07:15:18
Ken Philson

I beleive that hardware to run on a PS4 requires a security chip - something that the Thrustmaster T500rs has (probably due to it's later developement/licensing with sony/Polyphony) and the G27 doesn't. What PS4 users need is for Sony and Logitech to come up with a solution other than Sony licensing a new wheel with Logitech - maybe a USB adapter/interface by Sony would be a good call.

Steve Redding On 2014-06-26 15:50:07
Steve Redding

I don't think it's intierly up to Pcars. If it were I'm sure it would be supported.

Steve Redding On 2014-06-26 22:05:25
Steve Redding

I don't work there nor do I represent SMS in any way, but I have been a member since 2012 and I have been using the G25 to play the game on PC. Logitec wheels and many others are supported on PC. Many of the members have the same concerns as you and they are discussed. Rest assured that SMS does know about it and are very much involved with the member’s community. IMO, they are very dedicated to do what they can, within there means, to make these implementations happen.;)

Tim Chitwood On 2014-06-26 16:00:22
Tim Chitwood

So far I am not even sure a G27 will be supported in the game with any platform. If you work there, please try and make sure we can use a Logitech G series in the game with PC and PS4. I don't care about XBoxOne. True PS4 needs to be onboard too, but if the game pushes for wheel support for Logitech G series they will probably do it.

Steve Redding On 2014-06-25 04:11:33
Steve Redding

Shaun, I can tell you that this title is capable of making your PC cry, specially in surround/eyefinity. This is not a bad thing. It's not a case of bad optimization, but it's a case of what hardware you have in your case...whatever the case may be.

Tim Chitwood On 2014-06-24 17:18:29
Tim Chitwood

You are right about it being an important game.
Ben is right that we need to be able to use the old standby wheels and I can only assume, XBoxOne will need their wheels, the PS4 and PC, SHOULD be, compatable with the Logitech and Thrustmasters.
My BIG #1 question is platform interplay. Will we be able to race with our friends that use different platforms in same game. PS3 using Dirt514 is able to interact with PC players on Eve. So it CAN be done.
I am looking forward to these new games, but I don't want to buy a PS4 or XBoxOne to play with my friends who are computer illiterates...

Steve Redding On 2014-06-25 10:50:13
Steve Redding

Cross platform play is highly unlikely. It is a matter of the console manufacturer allowing it and it is my understanding that it is most unlikely that it will happen in Pcars.

Tim Chitwood On 2014-06-26 14:04:54
Tim Chitwood

Yeah, it sounds like I am buying a PS4 this Fall for some of the games released in November. That is less than optimal since I have a PC that can eat a PS4 alive, but a PS4 is plug and play for my PS3 friends to play and their servers are already up and running.

Uzair H On 2014-06-24 14:23:11
Uzair H

Shaun, thanks for the E3 preview. BTW is that the carbon fiber CSW Formula rim you have behind you? It hasn't been released by Fanatec yet, so I guess you may have gotten a demo version for review. How is your experience with it so far? Does it add anything to the normal CSW formula rim other than the looks? The main difference could be in weight, is it lighter?

Alan Dallas On 2014-06-24 01:46:32
Alan Dallas

Oh and Shaun,

Did you apply for your Press account @ WMD/SMS yet?

Alan Dallas On 2014-06-24 01:44:15
Alan Dallas

The last bit of news that Logitech had on Sony that I saw discussed on the exsisting G series of Racing wheels was they are waiting to finish a Driver set for the PS4. Until then, no Logitech support on PS4. No telling when they'll complete the drivers and get them into a PS4 OS update.

Ben Deverall On 2014-06-23 11:37:54
Ben Deverall

I am very excited about this title also, the big elephant in the room is wheel compatability on PS4 and XBone. I know that that they will have to have some compatability especially with T300 and TX, but what about the ol' faithful G27?

Andy Rohrer Andy Rohrer
Hey Shaun:

I was hoping to participate in the next race and on Simracing System it says it's at Fuji. Which version of Fuji should I download.

Thanks!

Topic: Setup Shop and Attack The...View

Michael Baley Michael Baley
Sean,
I am all signed up and ready to race in the Carrera Cup, except for one thing.  How do I obtain Road America?  I do not have it in AC as one of my tracks.  Where is it?

Topic: Simpit Porsche Carrera Cup...View

Shane Robinson Shane Robinson
Great review, you've convinced me to buy one of these for my rigsmile

One question, do you think the mounting brackets could be inverted (and swapped left to right) to mount it from the top?

Topic: SRH Control R Sim Racing...View

Amedeo Magoni Amedeo Magoni
Hello Shaun!!!
SINCERE COMPLIMENTS for your PROFESSIONAL Video-Review!!!
VERY SORRY If I contact from here but I don't know other Solution!!!
Can you PLEASE reply me to thread here just under?

MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
Amedeo

Topic: DIY - 80/20 Triple Monitor...View

Dino Arellano Dino Arellano
Hey man. Love your style and input on all your reviews. I have a question: my rig is fo the ps4, it has the thrustmaster t300 Alcántara edition, the fanatec clubsport v3 pedals, the cpx adapter from Basherboards, and I am looking forward to get this fanate shifter. You said that I could connect this shifter directly to the pedals via a USB cable. My question is: is that setup only for pc or will it work with the setup I provided above?

Thanks very much for your answer. I wouldn't wanna have to conform with the th8 because a misunderstanding of compatibility, and missing out on the fanatec Choice.

Thanks a bunch!